November 17, 2023

Senior Data Analyst

Third Horizon Strategies

Third Horizon Strategies


Third Horizon Strategies (THS) is seeking a full-time Senior Data Analyst with 6+ years of experience to support its work examining the organization, delivery and financing of health care, from the perspectives of payers, providers and patients. This position will be part of the Health Care Price Transparency Services Analyst Team which is on a mission to power better health care by bringing transparency to health care costs.



The full-time position will require use of complex advanced analytics to price health care services and design and implement alternative payment models. This role requires meticulous process development and advanced problem-solving skills to root out issues and derive meaningful and defensible analyses. The majority (approximately 90 percent) of the position’s duties and responsibilities will comprise of being the technical lead research analyst for client projects that require expertise in modeling health care payments, with a specific focus on the commercially insured population. The other 10 percent will comprise of collaborative data management, infrastructure and training support needed for client projects and THS analytics operation.

  • Obtain and analyze raw data from multiple sources, including claims, provider data, member eligibility and clinical data, to perform core job duties and to answer questions posed by internal /external customers
  • Diagnose and troubleshoot data issues at various steps of processing: including raw, normalized and processed
  • Conduct analysis to develop critical business insights and identify key drivers contributing to trends, medical cost reduction, clinical program effectiveness and quality improvement opportunities
  • Work with business units to gather and document data/report requirements and translate into technical build, data model design through the entire report/product cycle until completion
  • Generate and update standard reports on schedule to support THS operational client needs
  • Assist in data management work with analytics colleague to build scalable data structure to support production of reports
  • Work collaboratively and develop effective relationships with key internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization, such as data engineering, client management, business development, and leadership
  • Assist in developing presentations for external stakeholders such as providers, health plans, and other customers to explain total cost of care analyses, cost trends, and key cost of care levels
  • Participate in business process improvement efforts to collect and analyze metrics and continually improve processes
  • Be self-motivated, creative problem solver who can work independently and demonstrate strong project management skills to handle multiple complex projects in a fast-paced environment
  • Be effective at translating complex or technical issues into common terms. Communicate in a compelling, simple manner
  • Train junior members of the team; participate in team concepts and promote a team effort



  • A bachelor’s degree in computational analysis, mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, public health or related quantitative field required; Master’s preferred.
  • 6-8 years experience analyzing health care claims data, electronic medical record data and other clinical data sources.
  • Proficiency in analyzing commercial claims data and understanding of medical coding (HCPCS, ICD, etc.) required
  • Experience with episodes of care and alternative payment models
  • Experience in the following areas preferred: price transparency data, medical utilization, health care reimbursement, risk adjustment, care management operational data, and health plan rate development.
  • Advanced data analyst skills required
  • Use of the following platforms/tools preferred: Google Big Query, SQL, Python, R, Tableau, Power BI.
  • Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
  • Ability to work on several projects at once, prioritize and complete multiple projects and tasks, and interact efficiently with clients and colleagues


Reports to Managing Director, Health Care Price Transparency Services
Location Chicago, IL or Remote
Travel This position may require occasional travel for meetings and trainings
Start Date Q1 – 2024 (Tuesday, January 2)
Third Horizon Strategies is a boutique advisory firm focused on shaping a future system that actualizes a sustainable culture of health nationwide. The firm offers a 360º view of complex challenges across three horizons – past, present, and future – to help industry leaders and policymakers interpret signals and trends; design integrated systems; and enact changes so that all communities, families, and individuals can thrive.