September 21, 2021 – Today, Third Horizon Strategies released “Enhancing Community Recovery Capital in America: Recovery Support Service Models, Efficacy, and Financing” – a white paper examining current investments in recovery support services. The paper provides an overview of federal programs and funding for recovery support services, current efforts in numerous areas – recovery housing, recovery community centers, peer recovery support services, education-based recovery services, and culturally responsive recovery supports – and opportunities for expansion and scaling.
Download the paper here.
The paper was released at a special National Recovery Month congressional briefing entitled “Turning Policy Into Action – How Recovery Supports Save Lives.” Co-hosted by The United States House Addiction, Treatment, and Recovery Caucus; Senator Chris Murphy (CT); and Senator Lisa Murkowski (AK), the event featured a robust discussion about the value of recovery support services in communities and opportunities to expand and scale these promising practices that can help save lives. The following individuals provided remarks:
- Carol McDaid, Principal, Capitol Decisions Inc.(moderator)
- Vice Admiral Vivek H. Murthy, MD, MBA, U.S. Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Miriam Delphin-Rittmon, Ph.D., Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- The Honorable Paul Tonko, United States Representative (NY-20)
- The Honorable Anthony Gonzalez, United States Representative (OH-16)
- Greg Williams, Manager, The Alliance for Addiction Payment Reform
- David Whiters, Ph.D., Founding Member, African American Federation of Recovery Organizations (AAFRO)
- Rebecca Allen, Director of Recovery Advocacy, Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery (CCAR)
- Kevin Shuler, Emergency Department Recovery Coach Manager, Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery (CCAR)